Below are a few ways to use the foam roller to improve posture.
General tips for rolling:
- Roll slow and let your body sink of soften onto roller.
- Stop on the places that are most intense and try to let the muscles relax.
- Spend 1-2 minutes on each area.
- Roll before workouts to help get the body in a good position.
- Roll after workouts to encourage muscle recovery.
Thoracic Mobilization on Foam Roller
- Keep body level, do not extend and roll at the same time
- Support your head and neck with your hands but do not pull forward on your neck
- Roll slowly about 10-12 times then stretch into extension for about 1 minute
Chest Stretch and Shoulder Opener on Foam Roller
- Let arms soften and sink towards the floor
- Slide shoulder blades down gently
- Let the front of the shoulder open
Lat Rolling and Shoulder Release on Foam Roller
- Roll slow
- Keep palm up and arm above the head
- Bend top leg and plant foot and use to help roll
Assisted Thoracic Extension (Swan) with Foam Roller
- Engage the should blades first by sliding them down towards your spine
- Keep the belly tight and the low back long as you start to lift your eyes
- Stay light on the foam roller, don’t push down on the roller
- Keep the spine long as you extend through your upper and mid back